Notice to Schools 15/2017 − 15 February 2017
2017 VCAL Quality Assurance arrangements and webinar
Principals/Directors, VCAL Coordinators and VCAL Teachers
VCAL Quality Assurance (QA) is an important part of the delivery of the VCAL. It ensures that there is a common understanding and consistency among teachers regarding assessment judgments and the design of assessment tasks for the three VCAL levels.
Information for this year’s VCAL QA can be found on the
VCAL Quality Assurance 2017 webpages.
This page provides a comprehensive overview of the QA process including:
- VCAL QA dates
- sample assessment task templates
- VCAL QA arrangements for existing providers
- VCAL QA arrangements for new providers.
VCAL coordinators and teachers are advised to participate in the QA process and attend QA meetings if required. The VCAA strongly recommends that the teacher responsible for completing the sample assessment task template attends the QA meetings.
Providers that do not participate in the regional VCAL QA process may be required to submit their VCAL units to an audit by the VCAA.
A list of the VCAL units that must be submitted by providers is outlined in the
2017 Allocation of VCAL Strands to VCAA VCAL QA Regions.
Sample assessment task templates must be submitted to your VCAL QA region’s
VCAL Liaison Teacher (VLT) by Friday 24 March 2017.
In addition to completing the sample assessment task template/s, all VCAL providers are asked to email their VCAL provider details to their VCAL QA region’s VLT by Friday 24 February 2017.
VCAL provider details must include:
- provider name
- VCAL Coordinator name
- VCAL Coordinator contact details – telephone number and email address
- how the provider intends to meet the VCAL strand that is being quality assured. For example is the provider using VCAL units, VCE studies or VET units? Note that only VCAL units need to be submitted for QA
- VCAL level (Foundation, Intermediate, Senior) and the VCAL unit (Unit 1 or 2) to be submitted for quality assurance
- contact details (telephone number and email address) for teacher/s who will participate in the VCAL QA process
- whether the teacher of the VCAL unit required for QA will be teaching it for the first time in 2016
- VCAL status in 2017 – whether they are an existing or new provider.
To help providers complete a Sample Assessment Task Template (SATT), the VCAL Unit is organising an Adobe Connect Webinar on Wednesday 1 March at 3.30pm.
Teachers wishing to participate in this webinar need to register online. Registrations for the webinar close at 9.00am Tuesday 28 February.
- ensure their VCAL Coordinator is aware of the requirements for VCAL Quality Assurance.
Friday 24 February 2017 – VCAL provider details due the VCAL
Liaison Teacher (VLT) for your region
Tuesday 28 February 2017 – Registrations close for VCAL QA webinar
Wednesday 1st March 2017 – VCAL QA webinar held
Friday 24 March 2017 – Sample assessment task templates due