Notice to Schools 42/2017 − 19 April 2017
NAPLAN 2017 Updates
Principals/Directors, all NAPLAN schools and NAPLAN coordinators
Please see the following important updates for the 2017 NAPLAN tests.
The Victorian Government is strongly committed to NAPLAN Online and has been working closely with a group of pilot schools to begin the transition in May 2017.
As you may be aware, discussion of NAPLAN Online 2017 by Commonwealth and State Education Ministers took place at the recent Education Council meeting. At that meeting Victoria, along with a number of other jurisdictions, expressed concerns regarding unresolved technical issues with the NAPLAN Online platform and supporting technology.
Given that insufficient time is available to rectify these issues and adequately test the system prior to the NAPLAN tests in May, Victoria’s implementation of NAPLAN Online will be postponed until 2018. As a result of this decision,
all NAPLAN 2017 tests will be administered via pen and paper in Victoria this May.
In making this decision the key focus has been to ensure that all participating Victorian students have a positive experience of NAPLAN Online. The information available to date identifies technical issues that pose too great a risk to achieving this outcome.
All the participating schools had fully reached or exceeded the preparation requirements asked of them and we would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge and thank them for the considerable effort and contribution they made to prepare for the NAPLAN Online pilot in 2017.
While the postponement of Victoria’s involvement is extremely disappointing for all concerned, we remain fully committed to the transition to NAPLAN Online and will be working with schools to undertake NAPLAN Online in 2018.
The VCAA will advise schools regarding the future implementation of NAPLAN Online in due course.
NAPLAN Test Administration website
An information package for the use of the
NAPLAN Test Administration website is being mailed to schools. This package includes:
- the dates for the collection of their completed NAPLAN 2017 tests;
- information to access the Test Administration User Guide;
- login details for the
NAPLAN Test Administration website .
Schools are reminded that all details regarding NAPLAN 2017 attendance are to be recorded via the
NAPLAN Test Administration website .
Please note that the
NAPLAN Test Administration website is currently unavailable; the site is anticipated to be available from
Thursday 20 April, 2017.
All student attendance information, including exemptions and withdrawals must be entered into the NAPLAN Test Administration website by
Thursday 18 May 2017.
NAPLAN provides important information for students, parents and schools and participation should be encouraged in all school communities.
Principals are reminded that final decisions regarding participation in the NAPLAN rest with parents/carers. It is not acceptable to exert influence on parents/carers to withdraw their child from testing.
Principals are also reminded that students should not be exempted or withdrawn from the NAPLAN without signed approval of the parent/carer prior to the commencement of the tests.
Students who can be accommodated under disability adjustments should undertake the tests. Detailed information regarding allowable disability adjustments and student eligibility is provided in Part A of the
NAPLAN 2017 Handbook for Principals. Principals should ensure that parents/carers of students who require disability adjustments are informed about, and have agreed to, the nature of the adjustments provided.
Delivery and secure storage of NAPLAN 2017 Test Packages
- Deliveries of NAPLAN test packages to all schools will commence on
Wednesday 26 April 2017.
- Schools that have not received their test packages by
4pm Wednesday 3 May 2017 should contact the NAPLAN Help Desk.
- Quantities of test books and stimulus materials should be checked upon arrival using the clear side panel of the tamper-evident bags. The tamper-evident bags must not be opened at this time. If there are insufficient quantities of any materials, use the
NAPLAN Test Administration website to submit a request for extra materials.
- Requests for extra materials must be received before
midday Wednesday 3 May 2017.
- Copies of the
NAPLAN Test Administration Handbook for Teachers and a Security Log are included in the test packages. The Handbooks should be distributed to test administrators as soon as possible. The Security Log must be maintained and updated throughout the testing process.
- Principals or NAPLAN coordinators may prepare the test books for distribution the day before the tests, but under no circumstances should test books or other secure materials be distributed to test administrators until the morning of the tests.
- Principals should ensure that the security of all NAPLAN test materials is maintained until after the security period concludes on
Friday 26 May 2017.
- Following the conclusion of the test security period, test materials may be used for educational purposes within schools. Principals are not permitted to provide NAPLAN tests to parents/carers or members of the wider community, including the media, even after the test security period has ended.
Principals/Directors and NAPLAN coordinators should:
- note that all NAPLAN tests will be paper-based in Victoria in 2017
- note the information about the NAPLAN Test Administration website and student participation
- note the information about the delivery of the NAPLAN Test Packages and the administration of the tests for 2017.
Wednesday 26 April 2017
- Delivery of NAPLAN test materials commences
Wednesday 3 May 2017
- Delivery of NAPLAN test materials concludes
Wednesday 3 May 2017
- Final day to request extra NAPLAN test materials
9 – 11 May 2017
Thursday 18 May 2017
- Test Administration Website closed. All test participation information must be entered before this date.
Friday 26 May 2017
- Last day of the secure test period
For any queries about any aspects of NAPLAN 2017 please contact the VCAA NAPLAN Helpdesk on 1800 648 637 or email