Latest News

VCAA appoints new CEO

Following John Firth’s decision to retire after 12 years of outstanding service as our CEO, I am pleased to announce Dr David Howes has been appointed as the new Chief Executive Officer of the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA).

David brings to the role over 30 years of experience in the education sector at state, national and international levels. Prior to his current role as Assistant Deputy Secretary, Schools at the Department of Education and Training, David was Executive Director of VCAA’s Curriculum Division for eight years. During this time, he was responsible for the development and review of the curriculum for preschool to senior secondary education in Victoria. This included the Victorian Early Years Learning and Development Framework, the Victorian Curriculum F–10, the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) and Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL), including Vocational Education and Training (VET) programs and setting VCE examinations.

David is a committed and dedicated leader in education. He has worked as an adviser to the Royal Government of Cambodia, and provided education consultancy services in the Middle East. Currently, he serves on the Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority Board, representing the Minister for Education.

I know David will be a great asset to the VCAA, as he works with school leaders and teachers across all sectors, as well as the VCAA Board, to deliver innovative world-class curriculum and assessment that supports children and young adults to learn and develop at each stage of their education. David will commence his new role on 17 July 2017.

Chris Wardlaw
VCAA Chair