Operating the VSN in Schools
Under the associated legislation (Education and Training Reform Act 2006), providers are required to notify the Victorian Student Register (VSR) of all student movements and changes to student identifying details.
All schools will need to ensure their student processes incorporate the responsibilities as outlined below.
During student enrolment:
- Schools must capture a student's VSN and identifying details (name, date of birth and gender) and enrolment date and notify the VSR.
- If a VSN is not presented, schools will need to:
- determine whether the student has previously been assigned a VSN, or
- whether the student is a prep student.
During the student's time at the school:
- Schools must capture changes and corrections to a student's VSN, identifying details or enrolment date and notify the VSR, and
- Maintain an accurate record of the VSN for all students enrolled at the school, and
- Communicate the VSN to the student and/or parents through inclusion of the VSN on key communication material such as:
- confirmation of enrolment reports
- student report cards
- upon request
- including the VSN on student identity cards is
When a student leaves the school:
- Schools must notify the VSR of when the student departed the school, and
- Include the VSN and identification details on student transfer and exit documentation.
School sector specific VSN documentation
For detailed information specific to each school sector, see:
Victorian Government Schools
School Systems - CASES21 Administration and Timetabling - The Victorian Student Number and CASES21 - Victorian Student Number Overview
Click on the ‘Enrol in course’ link and then the ‘Begin Assignment’ link.
Catholic Schools and Independent Schools
Back to VSN index