VCAL Quality Assurance 2018
VCAL QA arrangements for new providers
A new VCAL provider is a provider who is delivering the VCAL for the first time in 2018.
All providers delivering VCAL for the first time are classified as Category 3 for VCAL QA purposes.
The following are the VCAL QA arrangements for new VCAL providers in 2018. There are two stages to the VCAL QA process:
Stage 1 details
Details on the date and venue for the Stage 1 meeting will be provided by the VLT for your VCAL QA region.
All new 2018 VCAL providers will be required to submit sample assessment task templates for the following VCAL units:
- one VCAL Personal Development Skills (PDS) unit
- one VCAL Work Related Skills (WRS) unit
- one VCAL Literacy Skills unit (Reading and Writing)
- one VCAL Numeracy Skills unit
- Skills for Further Study – Senior (if delivered).
The number of copies required for submission may vary between VCAL QA regions. Providers should contact their VLT to confirm the number of copies to be submitted.
New providers must ensure that their selection of sample assessment task templates covers all VCAL levels being delivered.
Where a provider is delivering all VCAL levels – including all possible VCAL units, a new provider should submit a sample assessment task template for:
- one PDS unit (Foundation)
- one WRS unit (Intermediate)
- one Literacy Skills unit (Reading and Writing) (Senior)
- one Numeracy Skills unit (any level)
- Skills for Further Study – Senior (Senior).
This means that the maximum number of templates that any new provider needs to submit is five.
If only one VCAL level is being delivered, which includes only PDS units, a sample assessment task template for two different PDS units is required (a total of two templates).
The above arrangements therefore require a provider to bring:
- a minimum of two templates (all VCAL programs must have at least two VCAL units)
- a maximum of five templates.
Sample assessment task template/s submitted for PDS, SFS and WRS units must address all learning outcomes.
Providers that are delivering the VCAL Literacy and Numeracy Skills units will be required to submit the Reading and Writing unit for Literacy Skills and one VCAL Numeracy Skills unit. Providers may also choose to submit a Literacy Skills – Oral Communication unit (all learning outcomes).
Sample assessment task template/s submitted for Literacy Skills units within the Literacy and Numeracy Skills strand must address four learning outcomes – two for reading and two for writing.
Sample assessment task template/s submitted for Numeracy Skills units within the Literacy and Numeracy Skills strand must address four learning outcomes. The elements within the four learning outcomes need not be met with one individual task; however, it is essential that all elements in the four learning outcomes submitted for VCAL QA are addressed.
Providers should note that the above Numeracy Skills requirement does not apply to the other VCAL strands/units. For other VCAL units one task must be used to meet all elements within a learning outcome.
Providers, who are being QA in WRS in 2018 and are using structured work placement or a student’s part-time job to demonstrate achievement of learning outcomes from a WRS unit, are requested to include these activities in the sample assessment task template submitted for QA in 2018.
Providers must include sufficient detail in their sample assessment task template/s for their VCAL QA panel to determine if the learning outcomes and all appropriate elements have been met and that the tasks are at the appropriate level. If worksheets are used to meet some of the elements, the worksheets could be submitted with the sample assessment task template.
Back to Top
Stage 2 details
Details of the time and venue for the Stage 2 meetings will be circulated by the VLT in your VCAL QA region.
VCAL providers required to attend the Stage 2 will be required to submit copies of their VCAL unit sample assessment task template and a student’s portfolio of evidence. The number of copies required for submission may vary between VCAL QA regions. Providers should contact their VLT to confirm the number of copies they must submit.
For Stage 2 of the VCAL QA process, all new providers for 2018 are required to bring to the Stage 2 meeting completed sample assessment task templates and student’s portfolio of evidence consistent with strands submitted at stage 1.
The selection of portfolios must cover all VCAL levels being delivered.
If only one VCAL level is being delivered, which includes only PDS units, two completed templates and portfolios from two different PDS units are required.
The above arrangements require a provider to bring:
- a minimum of two templates and portfolios (all VCAL programs must have at least two VCAL units)
- a maximum of five templates and student portfolios.
Portfolios of evidence
A student portfolio contains evidence of the student’s own work that demonstrates successful completion of the VCAL unit learning outcomes. It can include:
- teacher observation checklists
- student self-assessment (verified by teacher/supervisor)
- reflective work journals
- a record of oral presentations or discussions
- written texts, e.g. reflective diaries
- information and communications technology e.g. blogs, social media, websites, wikis, podcasts, e-portfolios, multimedia presentations
- newspaper articles verifying student participation in a community project
- action plans and timelines
- photographic records of project work
- PowerPoint presentations
- a record of a radio broadcast
- student worksheets.