VCE on a Northern Hemisphere Timetable
The VCAA is offering the following VCE studies on an alternative timetable that runs from September to July:
- Bridging English as an Additional Language
- English/English as an Additional Language
- General Mathematics
- Further Mathematics
- Mathematical Methods
- Specialist Mathematics
- Computing: Informatics
- Chinese First Language
The Northern Hemisphere timetable (NHT) has been introduced to promote partnerships between Victorian and overseas schools. However this study option is also available to schools in Victoria.
The NHT need not replace the calendar-year timetable. Schools may offer VCE studies on both timetables. Offering studies on both timetables may provide greater flexibility for students; for example, students may complete some studies on one timetable and some on the other.
The administrative arrangements to support delivery of VCE studies on this alternative timetable need to be considered, with adequate time allowed to plan for and implement required changes.
Features of the VCE on an NHT:
- Any study offered on the NHT is subject to the curriculum and assessment requirements that applied in the previous VCE calendar year. See: Current NHT curriculum and assessment details.
- The external assessment results of the NHT cohort will be subject to equating to ensure comparability with the results of the larger Victorian cohort assessed in the previous calendar year.
- Victorian schools need to apply for authorisation to offer VCE studies on the NHT.
- Students can only be enrolled with an authorised school.
- Additional VCE studies may be considered for inclusion on the NHT in future, subject to criteria such as the level of demand.
- Applications for authorisation to offer VCE studies on the NHT will open early in Term 2 (mid-April) and outcomes will be advised before the end of Term 2 (June)
- Application details can be obtained from the Project Manager.
The examination periods for the 2017-2018 VCE on a Northern Hemisphere timetable are as follows:
Languages oral examinations
Monday 14 May 2018 – Friday 25 May 2018
Monday 28 May 2018 – Tuesday 5 June 2018
Students completing one or more VCE Unit 3-4 sequences on the Northern Hemisphere timetable will be required to sit the GAT on Wednesday 13 June 2018.
Victorian schools wanting to know more about the VCE on an NHT or interested in contributing to the further development of the initiative should contact:
(03) 9032 1779
International schools interested in offering the VCE on an NHT should contact:
+61 3 9032 1656