VCE on a Northern Hemisphere Timetable
The Northern Hemisphere Timetable (NHT) has been introduced to promote partnerships between Victorian and overseas schools. However this study option is available also to schools in Victoria.
The NHT need not replace the calendar-year timetable. Schools may offer VCE studies on both timetables. Offering studies on both timetables may provide greater flexibility for students; for example, students may complete some studies on one timetable and some on the other.
The VCAA is offering the following VCE studies on the alternative timetable that runs from July to June:
- Bridging English as an Additional Language
- English/English as an Additional Language
- Chinese First Language
- Computing 1 and 2; Computing: Informatics
- General Mathematics
- Further Mathematics
- Mathematical Methods
- Specialist Mathematics
The administrative arrangements to support delivery of VCE studies on this alternative timetable need to be considered, with adequate time allowed to plan for and implement required changes.
Features of the VCE on the NHT:
- Any study offered on the NHT is subject to the curriculum and assessment requirements that applied in the previous VCE calendar year.
- The external assessment results of the NHT cohort will be subject to equating to ensure comparability with the results of the larger Victorian cohort assessed in the previous calendar year.
- Victorian schools must apply for authorisation to offer VCE studies on the NHT.
- Students can only be enrolled with an authorised school.
- Applications for authorisation to offer VCE studies on the NHT will open early in Term 2 (mid-April) and outcomes will be advised before the end of Term 2 (June)
- Application details can be obtained from the Project Manager.
NHT past examinations and examination reports
Examinations and examination reports for the June 2017 NHT cycle are provided here: NHT curriculum and assessment details
Examination periods for the 2017-2018 academic year
The examination periods for the 2017-2018 VCE on a Northern Hemisphere timetable are as follows:
- Languages oral examinations
Monday 14 May 2018 – Friday 25 May 2018
- Written examinations
Monday 28 May 2018 – Tuesday 5 June 2018
Students completing one or more VCE Unit 3-4 sequences on the Northern Hemisphere timetable will be required to sit the GAT on Wednesday 13 June 2018.
Victorian schools wanting to know more about the VCE on an NHT or interested in contributing to the further development of the initiative should contact:
(03) 9603 7948
International schools interested in offering the VCE on an NHT should contact:
+61 3 9032 1656