Birth to Eight Years: Learning and Development
This section of the VCAA website has resources to support the implementation of the Victorian Early Years Learning and Development Framework (VEYLDF) and other Victorian Government initiatives as part of its Education State reform agenda.
Victorian Early Years Learning and Development Framework (Birth to Eight Years)
The VEYLDF is used by a broad range of professionals across education in schools and early childhood settings, allied health, early childhood intervention, family support, supported playgroups and cultural organisations.
- enables professionals working with children to work more effectively with other professionals and families
- provides valuable guidance for supporting children and families through the first eight years of a child's life
- provides a shared language and guiding principles for achieving the best outcomes for every child, and a continuity of learning
- reflects current research and practice, policy decisions and aspirational outcomes for young children.
See About the VEYLDF for more information.
Education State initiatives for the early years
- The Early Childhood Reform Plan outlines the Victorian Government's vision for the early years, as part of its Education State goals. This plan will deliver systemic change, targeted at supporting the children who need it most, to give every child the best start in life. These initiatives aim to create a higher quality, more equitable and inclusive early childhood system, helping Victorian families get their kids ready for kinder, ready for school and ready for their lives ahead.
- The Transition: A Positive Start to School Resource Kit is a DET initiative to support children and families through a period of change that can be both challenging and exciting. It is an experience that starts well before, and extends far beyond, a child's first day of school. Early childhood professionals can support children and their families to make this transition as smooth as possible.
VEYLDF resources have been developed for all early childhood professionals working with children, families and other early childhood professionals in the early years.
See this summary of VEYLDF resources (docx - 784.39kb), which provides an overview of each resource, and how to access them.
Early Years Alert
Subscribe to the Early Years Alert to receive notifications about professional learning opportunities related to the learning and development for education, health and wellbeing professionals working with children from birth to eight years.