Insight Assessment Platform
The Insight Assessment Platform is an Education State initiative aimed at helping teachers assess the progress of all learners and support more targeted teaching practices.
The Insight Assessment Platform has been managed by the VCAA since August 2017 and provides a collection of quality online assessment instruments. The Platform supports high-quality assessment practices and provides teachers with specific information to target the learning needs of students through its comprehensive data analytics and instrument reporting capabilities. Students' assessment data can be reviewed by teachers for diagnostic, formative and summative assessments.
Accessing the Insight Assessment Platform (Login) page.
Assessing the reading and vocabulary skills of EAL students
11 October 2018
A new reading and vocabulary assessment instrument for English as an Additional Language (EAL) students is now available to schools across Victoria, subject to certain conditions.
The Reading and Vocabulary assessment for English as an Additional Language students (RVEAL) is an online assessment instrument developed for use with EAL learners in Years 3 to 10.
RVEAL provides teachers with formative assessment information about student language proficiency in the Reading and Viewing mode of the EAL Developmental Continuum P – 10. This includes:
- class level reports indicating the percentage of students at each stage of the EAL Continuum
- individual reports that provide more detailed information on the skills and knowledge assessed and an analysis of the results in terms of correct and incorrect responses.
How can teachers access RVEAL?
Teachers must provide some additional information in order to gain access to RVEAL, which includes an online questionnaire and the teacher's assessment of each student's proficiency in the Reading and Viewing mode of the Continuum. This information will be used to improve the instrument.
Teachers must also be prepared to administer two RVEAL assessments in the classroom on consecutive weeks and complete short feedback reports.
For more information on gaining access to RVEAL, and to access the RVEAL School Guide for teachers and Insight Administrators, see TEAL online assessment resource centre.
Online Transition Learning and Development Statement
12 July 2018
The Transition Learning and Development Statements (TLDS) will be completed by early childhood services and shared with schools using a new online tool (Online TLDS) hosted on the Insight Platform.
Early childhood services will receive an email with log in details to access Insight at the beginning of Term 3.
To support the introduction of the new tool, the Department provided additional funding to each funded kindergarten service to support their early childhood teachers as they become familiar with the new online TLDS and access the range of available resources including:
- help line, tip sheets, video, and face to face training support by the State Library of Victoria
- a step-by-step online TLDS user guide
- family resources including a guide and introductory letters in 31 languages.
Support for schools including tip sheets and a user guide will be released soon.
For further details go to: https://www.education.vic.gov.au/childhood/professionals/learning/Pages/transtemplates.aspx
Mathematics Online Interview 2018 updates
29 January 2018
A number of improvements have been made to the Mathematics Online Interview for 2018. The updates include:
- Edits to improve clarity of instructions.
- Reduction of visual clutter including green highlighting, sad and smiley faces, and unnecessary free text boxes.
- Fixed branching issues based on advice from educational experts, for example, the loop in Section B has been addressed.
- Growth Point 0 will now be awarded to a student for a Section when they answer at least one question (correct or incorrect) in that Section, but not enough to achieve a Growth Point greater than 0.
- A Foundation Detour report is now available.
- Strategies are now required to be input for questions where a strategy response contributes to Growth Point calculation. A message alerting users to select a strategy will appear if the required field is left blank.