During student enrolment
Schools must capture a student's Victorian Student Number (VSN), identifying details (name, date of birth and gender), enrolment date and ensure the correct data is sent to the VSR via the software management system they use.
If a VSN is not presented, schools will need to determine:
- whether the student has previously been assigned a VSN
- whether the student is a Prep student or enrolling in a Victorian school for the first time.
During the student's time at the school
- Schools must capture changes and corrections to a student's VSN, identifying details or enrolment date and ensure the correct data is sent to the VSR via the software management system they use.
- Maintain an accurate record of the VSN for all students enrolled at the school.
- Communicate the VSN to the student and/or parents through inclusion of the VSN on key communication material such as:
- confirmation of enrolment reports
- student report cards
- upon request.
Note: It is not permitted to include the VSN on student identity cards.
When a student leaves the school
- Schools must enter an exit date on their software management system of when the student departed the school which is sent to the VSR.
- Schools must include the VSN and identification details on student transfer and exit documentation.
Note: Cancel transactions are only used when a student has been enrolled but never attends the school.
School sector specific VSN documentation
For detailed information specific to each school sector, see:
Victorian Government Schools
School Systems - CASES21 Administration and Timetabling- The Victorian Student Number and CASES21 - Victorian Student Number Overview
Click on the ‘Enrol in course’ link and then the ‘Begin Assignment’ link.
Data Quality and Process Guidelines for Victorian Government schools – contains necessary guidelines that explain how to enter student identifying information into CASES21 in a consistent manner, so that students can be registered correctly during implementation, transfers and new enrolments.
VSN Status Guidelines for Government Schools - a graphical description of how to enter the correct VSN status when enrolling new students
Catholic Schools and Independent Schools
Data Quality and Process Guidelines for Victorian Non-Government schools – contains necessary guidelines that explain the notification processes to be followed to meet the VSN notification obligations and standards for entering students identifying information
Victorian Student Register System User Guide For Provider users - Manual data entry – the user guide for the VSR web interface for providers who do not have an Integrated Student Management System
VSR Authorised User Access Request Form – schools must fill in this form to authorise school personnel to access VSN in their student management system
VSN Status Guidelines for Non Government Schools – a graphical description of how to enter the correct VSN status when enrolling new students
Contact the VSN Team
The ongoing operation of the VSN is managed by the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA).
To get in touch with the VSN Operations Team, go to
For school providers, see
VSN for schools
For VET providers, see
VSN for VET