Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In Skip to Content

Extra challenges

Higher Education Study in the VCE

If you’ve done well in your studies and want an extra challenge, you might be able to do a Higher Education Study in Year 12.

This gives you a defined pathway into tertiary education. It can count towards both your VCE and the first year of a university course in that study.

Higher Education Studies are offered at most major universities in Victoria. See the VCE Studies webpage on the VCAA website for a list of universities that offer Higher Education Studies.

(Your school must approve you for the Higher Education Studies program. Only one Higher Education Study can contribute towards your VCE.)

VCE – Baccalaureate

The VCE – Baccalaureate is one of many awards and forms of recognition for high-achieving students and students undertaking specific study or activities.

These awards can provide opportunities and a portfolio to help your career and personal development.

The VCE – Baccalaureate recognises depth, breadth and achievement in studies. To receive the VCE – Baccalaureate you must complete the VCE with:

  • a score of 30 or above for English, Literature or English Language, or a study score of 33 for English as an Additional Language
  • a VCE Languages study
  • VCE Mathematical Methods or Specialist Mathematics
  • study scores for at least two other Unit 3 and 4 sequences.

Excellence and awards

Awards and recognition are available for high-achieving students and students who are studying the arts, design, technology or VCE Extended Investigation, or are involved in community service or public speaking. These include:

You can also find out more about these from your school.